Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne

29346927

To take on an empire you must have nothing to lose.


Years ago a friend recommended the site NetGalley to me as a way of receiving ARC copies of books. I have been fortunate since joining to be approved for some really great titles. I recently requested to read Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne after seeing other positive reviews and I was intrigued by the storyline. I was really chuffed when the email came through saying I had been approved.

Rosemarked follows the story of Zivah and Dineas. We alternate between their points of view between each chapter. I used to really struggle with this constant switch of narrative but I am growing more accustomed to it. In Rosemarked it definitely helped the pace of the story as initially it started quite slowly and I think if it has just been one point of view the pace would not have escalated as well as it did.

 Zivah is a healer cut off from her people and unable to fulfil her calling. Dineas has recently be freed from his kidnapping by the Amparan army and is full of a vitriol hatred for his captors and a burning desire to get revenge.  There paths cross unexpectedly and this chance encounter gives Zivah the chance to escape her quarantine and Dineas the opportunity to enact vengeance. They choose to unite in their unlikely roles in order to invade the emperor’s army and take aim at the establishment from within.

The motivations of Zivah and Dineas are worlds apart and their characters so different. I loved the juxtaposing nature of their personalities. I felt they developed in a unique way, as they both grew accustomed to their situation. I was worried this was going to be a recipe for an annoying romance but the relationship created between the two characters is multi-layered and has real strength. Zivah's personal growth really got to me and many of her scenes left me sobbing, her character was a great aspect of the story.

I am so pleased this is that start of a series and I imagine book two will be a real hit.  . This brilliant book doesn't hit the shelves until 7th November but is well worth the wait.

Sensationally written with a story that is clever, dynamic and with heart.



Comments