February Wrap Up

I always seem to set myself quite ambitious TBR lists. I think I generally do this so that I have plenty of options to choose from of what to read. I went for 7 books in February and managed 6 of my aimed for list. I was waylaid at the end by my head not being in the right place to read a Brandon Sanderson epic.

What I read and what I thought:

Replica by Lauren Oliver


I wish I could have got on better with the books arrangement. From advice on Instagram I read the two sides in tandem and I am so glad I did as I think I would have struggled to read one after the other as some parts spoil others. Personally start with chapter one of Gemma and then chapter one of Lyra and the story flows better.

As I Descended by Robin Talley


Now I'd be telling a massive lie if I said I picked up straight away that this was a retelling of Macbeth. It was not until chatting to my husband about the story once I had finished that I twigged. Truthfully I am not one for ghosts and occult stories so although a thoroughly engaging read it just made me a bit scared! (wuss I know)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


I put a larger review this one on the blog. I loved the premise behind the story and I really enjoyed it and think I will get a hold of the next two.

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff


This got off to such a slow start for me and although Mia was engaging and clever I wanted more about her powers then we got. The first half was a tough read for me and it only really hooked me half way through. I would read the second as Kristoff definitely peaked my interest. The footnotes were a real distraction for me.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E.Schwab


Now if you have read my full review you know I will wax lyrical about this story. Schwab just had me in the palm of her hands. I loved it and have already got the next two on my list to read next.

And I Darken by Kiersten White


Hmph. I didn't get it. I am a huge fan of Dracula and the sordid and gruesome character of Vlad the Impaler that inspired his fictional creation. Unfortunately Lada didn't feel the same. I wasn't convinced of her portrayal as Vlad it was not as macabre as I was expecting or as fantastical. I can confidently say I would be unlikely to read the next one as I just don't care for the characters at all.

I started to read The Way of the Kings for like the a millionth time. I just found that I wasn't in the frame of mind for Sanderson's sudden way of throwing you in at the deep in end with the world he has created. I know I will finish it eventually and no doubt be in awe of the whole world by the end but it did not manage to feature in my finished books of February!

I've been even more ambitious for March. This might be a tad foolish as we go away to Disneyland so might not have as much time as I expect to read. But all of them look to tantalizing to not feature on the list! If I actually manage to read 8 books in one month I'll be thrilled.



Comments