Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite character names:

These have all ended up being girls names but I was racking my brain for ages for the boys names I like I didn't think I could do that list justice. So what follows is a list of my favorite female character names!



1.   Auraya  - Light (Age of Five by Trudi Canavan)

 I am pretty sure I mentioned in my review of this series how much I loved this name. I think it is so beautiful and suits the character so well.

2.   Eowyn – Joy (The Two Tower by J.R.R.Tolkien

 I love the character of Eowyn in Lord of the Rings. I think she is such a strong role model as she is so fiery and determined. A very strong name for a strong woman.

3.   Luna – Moon (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoneix by J.K Rowling)

I love the character of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and I think her name suits her so well. Its got the airy fairy quality she posses right there in her name.

4.   Jubilee – Celebration (X-Men Comics by Stan Lee)

 Jubilee was always my favourite character in the X-men cartoon I watched as a kid and when I got some comics with my dad I loved reading about her. I also love the meaning of the name it’s so good!

5.   Arya – Truthful (Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini)

This character suits her name so well especially once I found out the meaning. I love that Paolini managed to write sucha  complex woman and didn’t make her weak or unassuming but made her a powerhouse as well as beautiful!

6.   Matilda –Strength (Matlida by Roald Dahl)

What a lovely story with a beautiful name. I love the story of Matilda and her journey throughout the book. I love that she is a bookworm and that the story ends with her getting the love she deserves. I think her name meaning is very apt.

7.   Meggie – Pearl (Inkheart by Cornelia Funke)

I really like these stories and the character of Meggie is so cool and feisty. I like the normalcy of her name in this fantasy series. In can be easy in fantasy fiction to think the weirder the better so it’s nice to have such a normal name.

8.   Marillia – Small Brook (Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery)

I am a huge fan of the Anne for Green Gables series that my mum encouraged me to read and I love the character of Marillia Cuthbert. I love the warmth she has under her layers of severity and I love the way she loves Anne. I think the name meaning is sweet considering where they lived and I also think it suits the character to a T.

9.   Ariel – Lioness of God (Disney’s The Little Mermaid)

In Hans Christian Anderson’s fairy tale of The Little Mermaid the character is unnamed (her fate is also much worse that Disney portray) But I love the name Ariel. I love the way it is pronounced in the film by Triton and I think that it’s a pretty powerful name meaning.  

10.  Lydia – Maiden (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen)

 I couldn’t really make this list and not mention the vivacious Lydia that graces the pages of Pride and Prejudice. Not only do I love the fact my name appears in a Jane Austen book but I also love that is spelt the correct way! I on the other hand must stress I am not so flighty as the Lydia of Austen’s world however, I am most certainly similar to her with my chatty nature.  

Comments