Something for the Weekend

I always like to make sure I have a good book for my weekend. Whether that’s one I have been reading throughout the week or the ultimate treat of a brand new read.



This week my weekend read is Oksa Pollock: The Last Hope by Anne Plichota and Cendrine Wolf. I have wanted to read this book ever since I read the Guardian article about it being the French answer to Harry Potter.

So far this book is shaping up well. The world and magic used is very imaginative and quite different. It is sometimes a little much and I don’t think they needed quite so many different creations but then again they were obviously trying to establish a new ‘world’ and therefore I understand that a lot of work had to go into this. I found the website quite handy in understanding what some of the unusual creations actually looked like.

I am enjoying the storyline and find Oksa a really intriguing character that is a strong female lead. I can see why comparisons to Harry Potter have been drawn but on the whole I think they are quite different stories. So far there are enough fantasy elements for me as well as an unusual and gripping storyline that makes you want to keep reading. Hopefully this book keeps my interest for my weekend reading!

What are you reading this weekend?

Comments