Book Review: The Killables by Gemma Malley


















Evil must be identified

Long ago on this blog I promised a review of the new series by Gemma Malley. I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this story for the library I was working at through Twitter. I was really excited to read it as it was another dystopian story akin to The Hunger Games. I have already reviewed Malley's other series The Declaration which I thought was fantastic.

The Killables is a very unique story. You can only live in The City once you have had the evil part of your brain removed. Everyone in the City is given labels according to how well behaved and good they are. Nobody knows really what happens to those labelled K's they go to the outside barren world and are constant threat to the safety of those living inside the city. 

The story is told from the perspective of Evie. Evie is a likeable character she is a bit robotic initially but I think that was the author's intention to make you understand how far the City has gone to 'brainwash' people. The other characters have much more complicated and dark back stories and personally they were alot more captivating then Evie herself whose own backstory is not as richly developed. As with The Declaration series the momentum of the story is based on the idea of those with labels realising that they live in an oppressive society and then trying to escape. Although a different idea behind the labels in this story it is slightly similar to the the label  of Surplus in the Declaration. Unlike her previous series however, Malley plays slightly less on the 'love' element initially in this story.Similarly the story follows a lead girl with her love interest although this book throws in a love triangle which differs from The Declaration.

The story builds well but you can tell it is the first in a series as it sets the scene very clearly for the next book. I am planning to read The Disappearances as the story has intrigued me enough that I would like to know where it will go.  I think this is brilliant read for budding Dystopian fans.

A good book worth reading 


Comments