Top Ten Tuesday: Best Sequels Ever!

Another Top Ten Tuesday (on a Friday) here and this week it’s a really good one! Thank you to The Broke and Bookish again for this linky. My favourite genre has and probably always will be fantasy and one thing is for certain fantasy authors do not like to write stand alone fiction. I am not complaining here but sometimes those second books just don't live up to their predecessor. This top ten has taken me a while to compose as it’s so tough to decide what my favourite sequels have been! I have taken this to mean the second book in a series as opposed to a book anywhere in a series.



1. Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (The King Killer Chronicles)

This series completely captivated me. I absolutely devoured this book and it was such a fantastic follow up to The Name of the Wind. This book continues the tale of Kvothe. This fantasy masterpiece is a tale of epic proportions that goes to unpredictable places and worlds and I cannot WAIT for the third!

2. The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin

The second in the Earthsea Quartet has always been my favourite. It introduces the young girl Tehanu in an unusual world, for filling a bizarre role for her people. Sparrowhawk returns older, perhaps wiser to save her and she in turn saves him. I love this book as it was so cleverly written. It’s pretty different from A Wizard of Earthsea but it’s still fantastic.

3. The Scent of Magic by Cliff McNish

I have re-read the fantastic Doomspell Trilogy more times than I can count. I love the adventures of Rachel and Eric and the second book in the series is just as brilliant. Witches and Wizards are imagined in a whole new way by McNish and it’s so well written. I love the introduction of the character Yemi in this book and his unique magical ability.

4. Eldest by Christopher Paolini

*Sigh* I cannot rave about the books in The Inheritance Cycle enough. The characters, world and storyline have such depth and the second in the series Eldest does not disappoint. Continuing to follow the quest of Eragon as he faces the world as the last dragon rider. His fate is even more sealed in this book and other more minor characters are developed beautifully such as Roran.

5.Lireal by Garth Nix

It’s been a while since I read about the adventures of Sabriel. A great fantasy read with all the must have elements for a good adventure. The fate of the old Kingdom is in Sabriel's hand and she must rise to the challenge to save it. A great follow up that leads into a brilliant final book.

6.The Last of the Wilds by Trudi Canavan

I reviewed The Age of Five series in June and I highly recommend it. The sequel is another well crafted fantasy/mythical adventure that sees Auraya continue on her uncertain path. I love the character of the Old Hag so really enjoyed having more from this character in this story.

7. Slaves of Mastery by William Nicholson.

This top ten allowed me to remember a beautifully written series that I have not thought about for a while. I loved this series and the sequel does justice to characters the first book teaches you to love. Kestrel and Bowman helped make Aramanth safer and more peaceful but now it can be targeted. Separated from one another Kestrel seeks to find her brother as Bowman finally uncovers some truth about the Singer people.

8. InkSpell by Cornelia Funke

I very much loved Inkheart and I can remember when I finally got my hands on InkSpell as a young girl being so excited. Finally the book takes you into the Ink World where as a reader I had been longing to hear more about. I still love the premise of this story as it’s such a lovely idea and so cleverly written. Meggie gets her hearts desires but at what cost?

9.The Novice by Trudi Canavan

Another Trudi Canavan to feature on this top ten. I was toying with whether to put this in as it’s not as amazing as The Last of the Wilds. However, as a sequel comes it is a good follow up to the first and the character of Sonea is developed much better than she was in the first book. In fact I would go as far as saying that this book is better than the first.

10. Stormchaser by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell

I love the Deepwoods series even with its shocking amount of books. The second in the original trilogy is brilliant. Finally we get more understanding and action as Twig gets to take up his rightful place on his father's sky ship. We learn more about the world in this story and the illustrations by Chris are phenomenal.

*A little note about Harry Potter. As I took the word sequel to mean the second book in a series I could not in good conscience include The Chamber of Secrets. For me it is and has been for years my least favourite book. I have never liked it and I can honestly not pinpoint why. I like it because it is Harry Potter and I like being back in the wizarding world but I completely hated the idea people thought Harry could be Slytherin's heir and it just didn't make for as an enjoyable sequel for me.

What are your favourite sequels?

Currently Reading: Hunger by Michael Grant

Comments