Bookworm!

I am back. After an unexpected Summer hiatus on which I have rethought this blog. Initially when I started the blog it was meant to be about books and the occasional tidbit about my life. As it stands the reverse happened and the blog ended up becoming something I could not keep on top of because I had set myself too big a task. So I am going back to basics and the book blog will return. I know this means I will loose a few followers possibly but at least the blog will be achievable and take me back to my first love... reading! The blog will continue to feature my bake me and exercise pages as these have proved popular but I won't be updating these as often.

So to kick things off I have answered a few reading related questions which I have seen on a few other fantastic book blogs. I will be hopefully following linkys and maybe even starting my own as well as posting book reviews. The books will mainly be YA fiction (I am a school librarian after all) but the occasional grown up book may feature. Hope you enjoy the blog as it goes in a new direction.

1. Which book has been on your shelves the longest?

I have two books from my childhood that my mum found me. They are both called Lydia and are about a little girl and her many adventures. They are super precious to me not only because they were a gift but also because my name doesn’t often appear on things.

2. What is your current read, your last read and the book you'll read next?

Currently reading The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory which I am sailing through after finishing The White Queen by the same author. I started reading it because I caught the end of a White Queen episode on TV and wanted to know what the books were like. I want to say I will read the final in the series which is called The Kingmaker's Daughter however, I do not own this yet so I am going to start reading the Gone series by Micheal Grant.

3. What book did everyone like and you hated?

Well one book that I expected to love because it was so highly recommended to me was The Life of Pi. Sadly I found nothing much happened in it and I was disappointed.

4. Which book do you keep telling yourself you'll read, but you probably won't?

The Color of Magic by Terry Prachett I have now borrowed this from the library more than four times and it’s still unread and to be honest I am not sure I can commit to it.

5. Last page: read it first or wait till the end?

I don’t even understand why anyone would read the last page first. I know they might not contain major spoilers but it just seems too strange to do that. I am a read from the start to get to the finish kinda girl.

6. If you had to recommend one author who would it be?

My current reading habits would recommend Trudi Canavan. The two series of hers I have read have both been brilliant and I am looking forward to reading the third series soon.

7. Which book character would you switch places with?

I would be Sonea I think in The Magicians Guild. Although she has a super tough time and gets in some awful situations she is super magical and a really strong women. Also I wouldn’t mind being Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter

8. Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)?

Harry Potter (any of them). I always read these at home as soon as they came out. My mum in her wisdom allowed me to miss school to finish them. I would read them through the night to the early hours of the morning to make sure I had finished them before anyone could spoil the story. It still makes me laugh to think of my teacher's face each year when I showed them the note...Lydia was absent from school today because she was reading Harry Potter.

9. Which book has been with you to the most places?

I constantly read on trains so a lot of my books have been a lot of place. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss travelled the most regularly with me and got pretty battered as a result.

10. Any "required reading" you hated in high school that wasn't so bad ten years later?

Honestly don’t remember my required reading at all. Although I do know I will never consent to agree that Journey’s End the play is worth reading!

11. What is the strangest item you've ever found in a book?

I am a school librarian so I have found an array of interesting paraphernalia, including food!

12. Used or brand new?

Both! I love finding a bargain in a charity shop or my favourite place Hay on Wye.

13. Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?

The one and only case of this I can think of is the The Talented Mr Ripley . I found the book very confusing and a bit bizarre but I understood and liked the film.

14. Conversely, which book should NEVER have been introduced to cinema?

As a die hard Harry Potter fan I should probably say those films should not have happened but I quite like them even if they miss out louds(S.P.E.W to name just one thing). One that definitely should not have been done was A Series of Unfortunate Events. Firstly amalgamating the first three books was just confusing and it just lacked the quirk that Lemony Snickett brings to the books.

15. Who is the person whose book advice you'll always take?

My dad has always been amazing at knowing if I will like a book. Apart from the error with Life of Pi on the whole he is usually spot on. My mum is also great at choosing books I will like and never dreamed of reading.

Currently reading: The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory

Comments

  1. Would have loved to see your teacher's face when you handed in that note. Well done Lydia's mum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment