Rewarding Reading

As its world book day I thought I would do a little post about my job and how rewarding it can be. Although I have been feeling a tad overwhelmed I have still been thoroughly enjoying my job and the difference each day brings. One of my favourite things about working in a school is watching the kids discover reading more.
  
As a keen reader myself I absolutely love getting lost in a book, escaping somewhere completely different to my own life. I love the way the words on the page can create a whole new world for you to imagine. For me reading is just an amazing past time and will always be an integral part of my life. So working in the library is a real privilege being able to encourage children to explore a world of books.

We get a range of different readers with vastly differing levels of enthusiasm. The part of my job that is so rewarding is when you find a reluctant reader and manage to match them up with a book or comic that they end up loving. It has to be one of the most amazing feelings when you have recommended something to a child and you see them the following break or lunch time completely engrossed to the point that they are walking out of the library still reading.  

I absolutely love watching children fall in love with reading purely for their own enjoyment. The delight in their eyes when they see that their favourite author has written a new book or a book they love is the first part of a trilogy is wonderful.

I do love the information side of my job. When you teach a someone to tell the time or help them answer their soundwave homework it is just as rewarding. Howeverm as someone who loves reading it is such an encouragement when you know you have helped a child discover a new and hopefully lifelong passion for reading.

Thankfully I quite enjoy reading the books in school which has helped as it means I can recommend books that I know the storyline of. However, it does mean my to read list has tripled in size since I started working in the school!

I don’t know yet whether I will always work in school libraries but I will always do what I can to help children discover reading for pleasure.


"Some books are to be tasted, others devoured
But only a few are to be chewed and digested thoroughly"
Inkheart Cornelia Funke

Currently Reading: Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

Comments