Book Review: Magyk by Angie Sage



When I started working in the library I was well aware I would need to start reading more teenage fiction. My children’s book knowledge is about 10 years out of date. Although I often re-read many of the series I read as a child it has been a long time since I started reading a new book not written for my age group. 

So when it was time to start reading a book in the school I was spoilt for choice. There are so many options and so many new authors to discover that I had to ask the children for advice. They gave me a list as long as my arm that will probably take me forever to read. After much thought I chose a series of 7 books the first of which I am going to review.

I chose to read Septimus Heap: Magyk by Angie Sage. This book is full of magic and adventure and as I have always been partial to a story with wizards I felt it would be a good starting point. 

Needless to say I was overjoyed when I discovered I loved it! I found myself eager to read more and completely intrigued by the plot. The story revolves around the Heap family who after a string of mysterious events find themselves centre stage in a battle that has been brewing for years. I have to admit I figured some of the twists out before they took place but baring in mind that the book is aimed at younger readers I am not too surprised by that. The writing is fast paced, funny and imaginative. The world Sage creates is believable with many original attributes I have not yet found in a fantasy story although there are definitely some parts that will remind you of other wizarding worlds. I would recommend the book but it is definitely written towards younger readers although adults who enjoy a quick read without reading rubbish will enjoy it too.

A good start to a series shame the rest are not as good!

I am looking forward to reading the second book. Sadly however a student has taken it out of the library. Obviously I am thrilled they checked it out but it is awfully tempting to abuse my librarian power and recall it! Unable to continue with that series I have started the first book in The Inheritance Cycle called Eragon. Another recommended read from the student's list! 

 At some point I am sure I will review a book that's not aimed at teenagers but I feel like I need to get cracking with the list the students gave me as they worked pretty hard on it. 
On another exciting note I tweeted Angie Sage about enjoying Magyk and she actually replied! It made my day!
Currently Reading: Still reading and thoroughly enjoying Eragon!

I am linking this page with Catch a single thought's 'Book Love' BOOKLOVEBADGE

Comments